Friday 3 May 2013

Exercise.

Exercise.

One small word that majority of people hear and instantly avoid. Don't worry, I hate it too. I'm not a couch potato (I'm a couch kumara), but for me to actually give 'exercise' a go, it has to be fun!

I dance three times a week, and it's amazing, but when I finish the dance and I'm puffing like crazy, I realize I'm not actually THAT fit from it. So I'm attempting to start up running.

I was recommended an app called "Zombies, Run!" by an amazing friend of mine. And gee, she's really found the secret here!

I logged on to the Google play store, found "Zombies, Run! 5K" (unfortunately the full version isn't available for my phone's version) and installed it. And BAM!

I've been placed into Abel Township, what seems to be one of the only known safe havens in a world ravaged by a zombie apocalypse. Supposedly "every walk or run will be a new adventure where you help save lives and learn about secrets and conspiracies ", according to the Zombies, Run! website at zombiesrungame.com

I'm Runner 5, one of the few remaining humans in a society slowly being over run (pun not intended) by zombies. My duty is to collect supplies and protect the town from the ever approaching zombie apocalypse. 
And the only way to do this is by running!
Over 8 weeks, I'll (hopefully) complete 25 workouts and help Abel Township on its way. Plus by the end of it, I'll be able to run 5km without dying of exhaustion! That's the plan anyway.

So far I've been introduced to Sam Yao, Doctor Maxine Myers, Runner 7 and the unfortunate old Runner 5, who's now a zombie. I'm going to stop here though, before I ruin the whole plot. 

I am absolutely in love with this app. Caught- Hook, line and sinker. Listening to Sam's upset statements at the mention of the old Runner 5, I genuinely felt for poor Sam. And now I'm itching to go out for another run to see what happens next.

I've only been on one run - the introduction - and I didn't even have to run. But I did! I ran about 3km and power walked the heck out of the rest. I completely forgot I was running for exercise (the dreaded word) and instead thought I was running for my life from a mob of zombies chasing me! It also probably helped that I was running whilst it was semi-dark and I have a genuine fear of zombies. Even the sound effects of zombies munching away on human flesh gave me goosebumps.

But I was proud of myself for running that far when I honesty believed I couldn't. Here's a link to my profile, and you can check on my progress by clicking here! I've set it so you can't see where I'm running, but you can see my basic stats like how far I've run. So if you've got the time, go take a look!

I'm pretty sure I over did it today. I know my legs are going to be killing me tomorrow, but I have to get out to see how what's going to happen next!


Love May
x

No comments:

Post a Comment